patterns & practices posted Drop 5 (release candidate) of the Windows Phone 7 Developer Guide to CodePlex on 10/12/2010. The guide describes a WP7 client app with a Windows Azure backend:
This new guide from patterns & practices will help you design and build applications that target the new Windows Phone 7 platform.
The key themes for these projects are:
- A Windows Phone 7 client application
- A Windows Azure backend for the system
As usual, we'll periodically publish early versions of our deliverable on this site. Stay tuned!
Team members blogs
The TailSpin and TailSpin.PhoneOnly solutions have a substantial number of dependencies. The guide includes a CheckDependencies.exe tool to test for dependency fulfillment and install missing libraries:
I suggest you read my Problems with DependencyChecker in Drop 5 discussion thread of 10/13/2010 (updated 10/14/2010) to minimize issues when running the DependencyChecker.exe app for the first time. It currently recommends:
1. Docs and readme should include advice to users to Set execution policy in PowerShell to "Unrestricted". If not set to Unrestricted, almost all dependency checks will fail with required apps and libraries installed.
2. The current Func v1.0 doesn't include Funq.Silverlight.dll. You must download Func Beta (Funq.0.1.226.1-src.zip) to get Funq.Silverlight.dll. Do you plan to test and upgrade the dependency to v1.0's Func.dll?
3. Advise users that a local instance of SQL Server 200? [Express] or later is required for the sample database and .
4. The readme files for Funq.Silverlight.dll and the two Silverlight3UnitTestingFramework DLLs should indicate that these files must be unblocked. Otherwise initial builds fail with errors.
5. Users should be advised to start the Development Fabric and Development Storage before running projects that use Windows Azure as a data source.
So far, I’ve only built and briefly tested the Tailspin.PhoneOnly solution, which processes simple survey questions:
You must use one of the preassigned user account IDs, such as Scott, with any password to log on to the app.
Clicking the right-pointing arrow in the gutter opens a menu for IE, Settings, TailSpin (above), and TailSpin.PhoneClient.Tests:
Future posts will provide details on the use of a Windows Azure data source with the full TailSpin solution.