Hortonworks and Yahoo! are proud to host the 5th annual Hadoop Summit. The two-day event will feature many of the leading thought leaders from the Apache Hadoop community who will showcase successful Hadoop use cases, share development and administration tips and tricks and educate organizations about how to leverage Apache Hadoop as a key component of their enterprise data platform. Hadoop Summit will also be an excellent network environment for developers, architects, administrators, data analysts, data scientists and vendors interested in advancing, extending or implementing Apache Hadoop.
Tim Mallilieu, Group Project Manager for Microsoft Big Data (@MicrosoftBI), will present an Unleash Insights on All Data with Microsoft Big Data session on 6/13/2012 at 2:25 to 3:05 PM PDT. From the Session Abstract:
The “Big Data” team is responsible for Microsoft’s innovations around SMP & MPP Data Warehouse and Hadoop. For more information about Apache Hadoop on Windows Azure, see links to recent OakLeaf posts here.
Denny Lee (@dennylee), Microsoft Principal Program Manager, and David Mariani, VP of Engineering for Klout, will describe How Klout is Changing the Landscape of Social Media with Hadoop and BI on 6/13/2012 at 3:35 PM PDT. From the Session Abstract:
In this age of Big Data, data volumes grow exceedingly larger while the technical problems and business scenarios become more complex. Compounding these complexities, data consumers are demanding faster analysis to common business questions asked of their Big Data. This session provides concrete examples of how to address this challenge. We will highlight the use of Big Data technologies—including Hadoop and Hive —with classic BI systems such as SQL Server Analysis Services.
• Understand the architectural components surrounding Hadoop, Hive, Classic BI, and the Tier-1 BI ecosystem
• Get strategies for addressing the technical issues when working with extremely large cubes
• See how to address the technical issues when working with Big Data systems from the DBA perspective
Denny’s blog is here.
Meet the Hadoop Summit Chairs & Presenters
Visit the Hadoop Summit blog for interviews with many of the compelling speakers and track chairs, including:
- Hadoop in Action Track Chair Abhishek Mehta of Tresata (interview)
- Future of Apache Hadoop Track Chair Avik Dey of Intel (interview)
- Enterprise Data Architecture Track Chair Val Bercovici of Netapp (interview)
- Alan Gates of Hortonworks (interview)
- Dave Mariani of Klout and Denny Lee of Microsoft (interview)
- Supreeth Rao of Yahoo! (interview)
- Todd Lipcon of Cloudera (interview)
- Henning Gabriel of Datameer (interview)
- Aaron Myers of Cloudera and Suresh Srinivas of Hortonworks (interview)
- Farhan Hussain of Open Source Architects (interview)
- Mohammad Sabah of Netflix (interview)
- Tony Baer of Ovum (interview)
- Bill Graham of Twitter (interview)
- Anil Madan of Paypal (interview)
- Chris Mattman of NASA Jet Propulsion Labratory (interview)
BigDataCamp @ Hadoop Summit
BigDataCamp is an unconference for users of Hadoop and related Big Data technologies to exchange ideas in a loosely distributed format. Led by CloudCamp’s Dave Nielsen, attendees are encouraged to share thoughts in open discussions with community-proposed topics, including Lightning Talks & Unconference Sessions.
Data engineers, enterprise architects, developers, analysts, data mining and business intelligence professionals are encouraged to attend and mix with other members of the community.
BigDataCamp takes place the night before the Hadoop Summit 2012. Register »
Birds of a Feather Sessions at Hadoop Summit
All BOF sessions are taking place at the San Jose Convention Center unless otherwise noted.
HDFS – Tuesday, June 12 @ 10am
Pig – Tuesday, June 12 @ 10am
Oozie - Tuesday, June 12 @ 10am
Zookeeper – Tuesday, June 12 @ 2pm
Hive – Tuesday, June 12 @ 2pm
YARN/MapReduce - Tuesday, June 12 @ 2pm
HBase – Friday, June 15 @ 10am (at the Marriott San Jose)