Friday, July 04, 2008

Mike Amundsen Posts Sample SQL Server Data Services Provisioning Application

Mike’s New Provisioning Client Example Web App thread of July 4, 2008 in the SQL Server Data Services (SSDS) - Getting Started forum includes a link to the SSDS Provisioning Client Web service that lets you manage authorities, containers, and entities.

For those of you without an SSDS beta account, here’s a retouched screen capture of Firefox 3 showing the Manage Containers page listing the containers created by my SSDSNwindEntitiesCS.sln sample project with the Container per Entity checkbox marked:

And here’s a capture of the first Customers entity:

If you have an SSDS beta account click here to log in and test-drive the service. You can download the source code from Mike’s site. (He promises to post in to CodePlex shortly.)

Note: It was my understanding that beta users would only be provisioned a single authority, but I was able to create another with Mike’s service. (My demo app assumes an existing authority, so his services is a good way to create one.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Roger,

A quick comment. Authorities are the unit of geo-location and billing within SSDS. In the beta you can create as many as you would like. When the service goes live, you will receive a bill per Authority.

Roger Jennings (--rj) said...

@Dave,

I'm aware of purpose of Authorities, but was under the apparent misconception that beta testers were limited to one. Perhaps that limitation applied to Google App Engine or SimpleDB that I was testing earlier this year.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see that I can create as many Authorities as I like, but apprehensive about receiving a bill if I don't clean them out before SSDS goes commercial.

Enabling and potentially billing for multiple authorities makes it all the more important to be able to obtain a list of them.

--rj

mamund said...

rj:

Just a ping to let you know I updated the Provisioning example app to support caching on the proxy side. Now all GETs return ETags and all PUTs require the If-Match to make sure the update does not overwrite someone else's changes.

Once SSDS supports caching, I'll update the proxy to get it inline.

MCA