Friday, October 24, 2008

Technorati Stops Spidering the OakLeaf Blog Again!

For reasons unrevealed to me by Technorati, they’ve ceased pinging this blog for about the tenth time in the past three to four months.

Here’s the result on 10/22/2008 after manually requesting a ping on 10/20/2008:

Today is at least the sixth time I’ve had to send e-mail to Technorati’s “technical support” folks to restore their spidering of this site. They don’t reply to the request, but usually I see a recent post in most (but not all) of the appropriate Technorati tag groups.

Crazy!

Click here for details of my previous Technorati problems.

Update 10/23/2008 7:30 AM PDT: I didn’t receive the promised “Support Ticket,” but Technorati did ping the site “4 hours ago” and tag-based feeds are working again. It’s a PITA to manually request "technical support” to spider the site, but perhaps I’ll write a small program to automatically send Technorati a message each Monday or Tuesday.

As mentioned in my earlier posts, Technorati attempts to filter “splogs” from spidering operations. If they’re using an algorithm based on the ratio of the number of outbound links to post length, the OakLeaf blog should have a much lower splog index than, for example, Scott Guthrie’s Link Listing series.

Update 10/24/2008 3:00 PM PDT: It’s clear that Technorati is embargoing the OakLeaf Systems blog. My site hasn’t been spidered since 10/23/2008 AM, despite a manual ping on this morning. Sending another message via email and Twitter.

Technorati Tags:

0 comments: