This article from Fawcette Technical Publications' .NETInsight newsletter describes how to install and test the C# 2.0 and VB 8.0 implementations of the LINQ Project, DLink and XLink. Although this post from the VBTeam's blog states that the initial PDC 2005 Technology Preview (TP) bits work with the current VS 2005 release candidate, which is available for download from MSDN, I've found the following issues on various VS 2005 versions:
- Neither the VB or C# preview run correctly on the Beta 2 version (build 8.0.50215.44) mentioned as required in the Readme document for the C# version. This build is running here under Windows 2003 Server SP-1.
- The SQLMetal.exe command-line utility to generate C# entity classes for SQL Server databases and DLinq throws an unhandled exception—Invalid object name 'Dbo.customers'—when run under Beta 2 (build 8.0.50215.44).
- The C# preview doesn't add LINQ templates or integrate correctly under the VS 2005 RC IDE after running Install Visual Studio IDE Support.cmd. Attempts to edit any C# LINQ source code result in an instantaneous VS 2005 shutdown and restart. This build is also running here under Windows 2003 Server SP-1.
- The only VS build that appears to me to work correctly with the Technology Preview is Beta 2 build 8.0.50727.7 (a.k.a., the July CTP), which I'm running under Windows XP SP-2.
- The C# SampleQueries project throws 60 compilation errors, regardless of the VS 2005 build under which it runs.